As many married couples all over the world have discovered, marriage is not a bed of roses. In recent decades, there have been marked increases in divorces and annulments. This is because once the honeymoon period has ended, the man and woman ultimately discover things about each other they never knew and eventually learn to dislike with a passion.
In most cases, the couple could not endure each other’s differences and opt for separation.
There are some couples, however, who search for very good reasons for saving marriage that has hit the rocks. Let us take a look at some of these reasons…
- Love = Even if a marriage is plagued by so many problems, it can still be saved if the husband and wife can honestly say that they remain very much in love with each other.
As cliché as it may seem, the existence of love between them can help them to overcome whatever stresses occur in their marriage. They are also more often to discuss about their problems and find solutions for them as a team.
- Children = Some parents opt to try to save their marriage for the sake of their children.
Needless to say, it is often the children who are seen as the losers when their parents separate. Some of these kids end up being mocked by their peers and eventually develop psychological and social problems such as low self-esteem and poor school performance. Because of their bad experiences with their parents, these kids would also experience problems in their future marriage as well.
- Money = A lot of couples would want to avoid the financial difficulties that would occur with divorce.
Divorce would entail breaking up their assets and one spouse would need to pay alimony to the other. On the other hand, if they choose to salvage their marriage, they can benefit from their joint incomes (especially if both spouses are working) and enjoy tax breaks and insurance benefits.
- Religion or Tradition = Couples that belong to religions and traditions that do not allow divorce will try harder to salvage their marriage.
- One spouse will make divorce difficult = There are cases wherein the couple decides to stick together because one spouse will be actively against separating.
You often see on movies how a man or woman would have difficulties in having their spouse sign divorce papers. Rather than experience such problems, they instead try to save their marriage.
- Fear of being alone = There are some individuals who have a strong dread of being left alone. Rather than face the prospect of the divorce, they are open to discussing with their spouses on ways that they could go about saving their marriage.
- Divorce is viewed as a failure. = For strong-minded couples who especially value their reputation, they do not want to split up because they believe that close associates would view their marriage as a failure. It is a matter of pride that they try to salvage their marriage or just simply keep up the pretense of being together.
I sure hope that the above reasons are enough for you two to fight and strive to save your marriage.